Thursday, November 23, 2006

Feliz Día del Acción de Gracias

WOW – it feels like Thanksgiving here! Its FREEZING! And when I say freezing, I mean below 32°…..at least it was last night. YIKES! I’ve been sleeping with 5 blankets (plus my heating blankie) and the heater on most of the night, and I still wake up and its 56 degrees. ACK! No wonder why the kitties are trying to cuddle under the covers with me!

It reminds me of when I was in college, and Eunice and I were trying to be frugal after our first electric bill of the winter. Baseboard heaters with giant windows don’t allow for energy savings, let me tell ya. Anyway, we had the great idea that we wouldn’t turn on the heat until we could see our breath. I remember us inside the apartment studying with full winter gear - gloves, scarves and hats on……I don’t think that lasted too long. Once we told our parents what we were doing they graciously offered to help pay the heating bill. I think they were concerned that we might die from pneumonia. Although it was awful at the time, looking back on it now it makes me chuckle. Ahhh – the good ol’ days!

We’ve got all the goods for a nice dinner tonight – about 12 peeps or so will be coming. I was bummed because I couldn’t make my mom’s famous Strawberry Pretzel Dessert. Apparently Pretzels aren’t big sellers here, because we couldn’t find any. Weird, eh?

Well, I hope everyone has a fantastic Thanksgiving Day / weekend. It feels weird to be working on this day, but I can still be thankful, right?

I’m thankful for:
Pat O’Brien
My Family – and the family I will officially aquire in a few months
My true friends who have stuck by me through thick and thin
My new friends who are my Mexican Family
My brother who has kept me more or less sane this past year
My fluffy fuzzy warm and oh so cute kitties
Food on my table and a roof over my head
My feeble Spanish skilz
The Internet, which has kept me connected to the people I love while I’ve been so far away

With all the trials and tribulations, ups and downs, and all over general craziness I’ve faced over the past year, its not the crappy stuff I recall - but rather the love and support I’ve received – and for that, I am eternally grateful.

Hugs and Love to you all!

No comments: