Tuesday, February 02, 2010

nap Time

I've been pretty fortunate to get a good nap out of both kiddos at around the same time each day. Liam usually goes down sometime around 1PM, and Lola follows shortly there after. It is blissful peace for somewhere around two hours, and I definitely look forward to it each day. I usually spend the time catching up online (shocker, I know) or getting projects done.

Today, for whatever reason, I just decided to take a break from the norm. After Liam went down for his nap, I decided to spend a little quality time with Lola. Although she's near me or on me for most of the day, I don't get much time just the two of us (aside from feedings, of course). So after her afternoon meal we sat on the couch, read a book just for her (she always gets to hear Liam books, but not her own) and played with my favorite seahorse rattle (which she is just really starting to pay attention and grab - hooray!).

It was lovely. I stared at her beautiful face, her chubby cheeks, her skinny, long fingers and watched her eyes as concentrated so hard while they were willing her little hands to grab the rattle. Then again when they darted across the book pages.....and again when they got frustrated and started to well up with tears because she was tired and ready to go to sleep. Here's where the story gets good. Instead of putting her down in her crib....I just watched her fall alseep, right next to me on the couch. She twiddles her fingers, and sometimes rubs her face with her hand, all while sucking ever so gently on her "I Love Daddy" binky. Again....pure heaven.

Then, I could have put her down in her crib.....I had a lot of photography business to get caught up on, and I hadn't been online yet today....but I didn't. I just laid there. And I took a nap right next to her. She was so warm and snuggly I just couldn't get up. And we had some serious Mommy/Lola snuggle time.

I don't do this enough. Just sit and play with her. Or with Liam, for that matter. There are always 10,000 activities going on at once, between playgroups, classes, library and TV shows, music, me being on the computer, cooking, cleaning, etc.....and while I think all those things are important for both of them, I forget that just hanging out with Mom is important too.

It was a nice lesson to learn!

Now, the peace is over ;) Liam is awake and crying in my ear.....so I suppose I should go and give him some attention too ;)

No comments: