Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Mexico Update

I had a meeting with the head of HR today. I really thought it was going to be the end all of the process - I figured she was here to tell me yay or nay.

Alas, I'm still drudging through the process.

Which I suppose is better than being told that I'm not going, but in reality the suspense is killing me. I can't even watch suspense or horror movies because it puts my stomach in knots. I just get too tense. This is worse than watching the exorcist.

The purpose of the meeting today was to talk through some of the obstacles and really settle her mind about my committment to the process and make sure expectations are managed appropriately. As much as my husband will be PO'd about this - the meeting didn't meet my expectations at all. I wanted to come out with specific objections to overcome as well as a defined timeframe - but she was reluctant to do so despite my pressing.

What did occur is that in her mind, although its unclear the position that is available is the absolute right position for me, I am a good candidate for the ex-patriate process. I told her there are three things that she should never worry about when dealing with me.
  1. Committment
  2. Attitude
  3. Flexibility

Aside from my stunning beauty and amazing technical expertise, those items are three of my strong suits.

The only action that came from this meeting is that I'm going to be speaking with a expat consulting firm to do an assessment of readiness, then after that will be a site visit. I won't know until after the site visit if its official or not. In my mind, that pushes our ETD out to August instead of June/July.

No comments: