Friday, July 15, 2005

We're not in Kansas anymore........

So, visiting the Center for Disease Control website is crazy enough to make anyone think the second they travel to another country they're going to die of dengae fever or bubonic plague. Seriously, not a happy place to visit for someone who is a hypochondriac like myself!

I had to go to the website, www.cdc.gov , to see which vaccinations I needed. Right on the travellers page, it says "4 - 6 weeks prior to your departure, arrange to have the following vaccinations". Well, I'm approximately 4 - 6 weeks out, maybe even 8 - so I thought I was in good shape.

Apparantly not.

I called the health department (because my insureance doesn't cover the vaccinations I need) and apparantly both hepititis A & B are a 6 MONTH series! SIX MONTHS! Sorry CDC, but thats a lot longer than 4 - 6 weeks! Anywho, I'll be able to get the first two, but I'll have to either finish the series in Mexico or when I come back for visits. I'm also supposed to update my tetanus and get one for yellow fever, or typhoid fever, or dengae fever - or who the heck knows what kind of fever. This will be a huge task for someone who is deathly afraid of needles. I wish they could give a nasal "shot" like they do for dogs and the bordatella vaccine. I'd be ALL about that!

No comments: