Tuesday, July 04, 2006

What freedom means to me

Check Out Blinkyou.com for thousands of custom glitters and layouts

230 years our nation has been celebrating and defending the rights of freedom. I have always been the patriotic type - I think it had something to do with my obsession with Marines - but living in a foriegn country has definitely given me a different perspective. It means so much more to me, or maybe I am just more aware. I've seen a couple different things online, and watching the CBS evening news tonight, and I found my self all choked up watching the clip from the fireworks display in Chicago, or the story about new citizens, or even the story about the lonely families of Fort Hood, TX. I couldn't help myself from crying.

SO, although ususally when I think of the 4th of July, I usually have fireworks, beer and hot dogs on the brain, I decided to change my thoughts a bit and write a little bit about what freedom means to me. freedom means driving down the highway, and not having to look over your shoulder to see what cop is targeting you today.

freedom means being able to stop and ask the police for directions, and knowing they have your best insterests in mind, and are there to help you and keep you safe.

freedom means trusting that your vote has been and always will count.

freedom means being born into one social class, but knowing that you have the power and will have the opportunity to educate, increase and provide a better life for yourself.

freedom is remembering your family members who are currently serving, and have served this great country to protect your rights, and the rights of those around the world, and thanking them for every breath you get to breathe in the land of the free.

freedom is a promise. promise of a better life, promise of a new day, promise to be able to live your life as you see fit, without judgmet and predjudice.

freedom is not having to live in fear.

So, what freedoms are you thankful for?

1 comment:

The Dog of Freetown said...

The freedom to see how utterley enslaved the develping world is to Western states and their neocolonial interests. Democracy shamocracy, I'm afraid. I await Bastille day.