Monday, January 05, 2009

Arroz con Leche - the ultimate comfort food

When I was nearing the end of my time in Mexico, Keith and I had dinner with friends Rocio (from Peru) married to Cheesehead Tom (from Cheese-landia, also known as Wisconsin) who lived near us in Toluca. She made an amazing dinner, with a fabulous dessert of Arroz con Leche. I can't believe I had not eaten this dish during my stay in Mexico. It was decedent, delicious, and comforting all in its warm gooey goodness.

I fell in love at once, and made it frequently during the beginning of my pregnancy with Liam. I really didn't crave many things, but this, this I craved OFTEN. I just made it again last night...it was delicious smelling the cinnamon and orange fill the house :) I love this dessert!

Liam had his first taste tonight - to a loud resounding "MMMMmmmMMMmmmmm!".

Arroz con leche
3 cups water
1 cup white rice
1 cinnamon stick
1 piece of orange skin
a pinch of salt
1 can of evaporated milk
1 can of Eagle sweeted milk (La Lechera)
-sugar (just add as much as you'd like to make it sweeter, usually between 1/2 - 1 cup...I like it less sweet so I add just shy of 1/2 cup)
-vanilla
powder cinnamon (for top of rice pudding)

Boil water with orange skin, cinnamon and salt. When it is boiling add washed rice and cover pan. Let boil with low heat until it is dry. Remove cinnamon and orange peel. Add milks, vanilla and sugar and stir until it thickens. Put in a container and sprinkle cinnamon on top.

No comments: