Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thank goodness for Thrift Stores

Yesterday morning didn't really start off that great, seeing as how I was slightly hung over. Just slightly though. I'm beginning to invent new ways to be hung over - I'm not sure if that's just a Karin thing or a gettin' older thing. I woke up at 5:30AM no headache or anything; I was feeling woozy and dizzy and numb. I convinced myself that I was having a bad interaction with the sangria I consumed and the medication I've been taking for my ear, and that I was approaching certain death. I fought that for a couple of hours, trying to not have a panic attack (because that's how I roll), and then finally the regular ol' nausea and headache hang over set in and I felt better. I know, strange, right?

The afternoon brought a trip to the Hair Cuttery to see if they could do a better job with Liam's hair than we can. I hate paying $13 to get it done, but I figured I would give it a second shot. The first time we took him there a few months ago they really didn't have any more success than we did. I'm not sure why I thought it would be different now. I suppose I was just so fed up with chasing him around the bathtub with clippers and having baby hairs all over the bathroom, that I was hoping it would be better. It really wasn't. Turns out though, they did give us a good idea. If we let him play with the clippers a bit maybe he'll be desensititzed and let us do it without wiggling around. I think that will probably work - he enjoyed playing with them after we got home and I touched up his less shaggy mop. Yeah, I'm a good mom like that - I let my kid play with hair clippers :) Don't worry, the big guard will be on!

We had much more success accomplishing our second mission, which was to find Liam a new winter coat. The zipper broke on his current coat, and the snowpants were also way too small. He has grown so much in the past couple of months! We bought the set at a Second Hand Store for $25, which is still kinda pricey....so I'm dissapointed the zipper busted completely off. I suppose if I was handy enough I could try to fix it, but I don't have the energy to direct towards that right now.

I didn't really feel very good about our choices, since they haven't had any coats at our Target for a month or two - and honestly, GAP and Old Navy are usually good choices, but the kids coats are pricey. We decided to try our hand at two thrift stores down the street from the hair cut joint. They are hit or miss, and the last time I checked them out there was nothing but slim pickins. This time, though, we totally hit the jackpot! Not only did I find an adorable, practically new coat from Gymboree for $3, I also found two cute cable knit sweaters, a rain coat for the spring, a scarf and a pair of snowpants for $10 total.

I'm so very thankful, too....we all know money is tight, and I really didn't want to have to drop $40 for a coat he's only going to wear for half a season. I need to make a habit of dropping into those stores on a regular basis; one of my Momfia friends is a Thrift Store Queen - she always finds awesome stuff!

No comments: