Friday, December 09, 2005

COLD

A little word about the cold. Yeah, blah blah blah, I know you got 500 inches of snow in Michigan. Bo flippity hoo. At least you all have HEATERS!!!! That’s right, I’m living in the coldest city in Mexico, sans any central heating. In order to maintain any heat we pretty much have to sit with three blankets on us and take turns holding a space heater by the coils. The whole place is tiled, so if you forget to put your slippers on and accidentally step on a freezing cold tile, your feet automatically turn into 2’ cube ice chunks. Its so cold, that I was contemplating, seriously contemplating, buying my cats a sweater. Have you ever showered in the morning when its 0 degrees outside and you have no heat??? Scalding hot water does nothing to warm up the tiles.

At work, inside the buildings, everyone wears their coats all day long because THERE IS NO HEATING!!!! People hover in the lab in the morning because it’s the only place that’s temperature and humidity controlled (73 degrees, always!). Sunny Warm Mexico my ass. If one more person emails me and says “Hey, I bet your enjoying that warm sunshine” because they think I’m testing concrete on the beach while drinking a margarita, I’m going to kindly remind them I’m three hours away from a beach at 8-freaking-thousand feet above sea level and THAT ITS NOT WARM! I’ve never been so cold in my life. Sheesh.

Well, I might be exaggerating a little, and really, I can’t complain too much – its only rained a couple of days, and there hasn’t been any snow except on top the Volcano for the past 20 years. And, it warms up to about 60 during the day……but as soon as the sun goes down, bust out the down jackets!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karin,

First of all, HAPPY B-DAY!!!!!
We all here wish you a great day, week, month, year, ...

Now, about the cold, I don't believe no one told you!??!?! They do have heaters in Mexico. But their packing industry is better than the American ones. So, the heater comes in a bottle.

By the way, they are so good in Mexico, that sleeping pills, allergy pills, and cold/flu pills also come in the same bottle.

During TksGiven I went to DC. I have never felt so cold in my entire life. Freaking windy city where all the memorials, statues, and museuns are far away. Sooo, at least in Mexico you can put on a couple sweaters and you're done. In DC I realized that I had so much clothes that I couldn't move and I was still cold.

I had a little problem to find the White House because it was snowing so ALL the houses were white. But I finally found it and Uncle Bush said he is missing you. But he is proud of you. He thinks US has to fight back. According to him, all the Americans should go to Mexico to steal Mexican jobs. Maybe doing that, the Mexicans will stop going to India to steal American jobs.

Take Care,

Murillo