Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Assimilation....

I think I'm finally starting to think in Spanish. I have to think now about works in English. Well, OK, only one really. Tubos. Concrete pipe. I look at concrete pipe now and think tubos. Which when you are talking to someone who speaks English - the word comes across as being kind of funny.

I also had my first serious misunderstanding in Spanish. I was totally confused about some measurements, and I was trying to explain what I thought, and Jorge was trying to explain how it actually was. It should have been about a two minute conversation, but it took us about 30 minutes to drudge through. I kind of felt like an idiot, because it was just a confusion about the metric system (mm, cm and m). It was so incredibly hard to try to explain and point out things that you are absolutely SURE of when you don't know the words and you can't be understood exactly. I was SUPER frustrated, but I handled it well. Instead of clamming up I continued to try to explain myself in different ways, and I actually was laughing, although I wanted to cry.

Turned out we were both right - he just used a different way to notate things in his log book. But now, at least he doesn't think I'm an idiot (at the end of the conversation I said "I promise, I am very intellegent!". He seemed to believe me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

karin,it sounds like things are going your way down there.i hope the vibe treats you and your driver well.is their any place near by to get maintainence and/or warrenty work done?