Monday, December 12, 2005

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! (Birthday #4)

Oh man, it’s my birthday. One step closer to 30. Oh well, I’m not really that concerned over it. The main thing is that TODAY, in honor of my birthday; I get a half day off. Well, not really just because its my birthday. Its el día de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe, which is a pretty important holiday here, so there is a half day. There is also a shit pile of fireworks going off, which started about two days ago, and culminated last night exactly at Midnight. Which was a real nice wake up call!

Something really cool happened to me at work :) There was all sorts of commotion going on out in the hallway, so I peeked out to see what was up, and everyone was standing around. So I mosey down and see a big yummy cake and some pop…..for me! Everyone sang the Mañanitas song and took pictures and gave me a trick candle, and it was completely super nice! It made me feel pretty much at home! And the cake, oh sweet mother was it ever yummy. Chocolate and almonds with fudge frosting….super rich, but very good.

Anywho, back to la Virgen. The main celebration takes place in Mexico City, at the Basilica de Guadalupe. Beginning at midnight (last night) people gather and circle around this tiny church to see the cloak in which la Virgen appeared to the poor Aztec farmer Juan Diego. That little apparition is marked as the entire reason why the country of Mexico is devout Catholic, as well as so dearly tied to la Virgen. Keith and I went to our church today at the 6PM mass, and it was pretty packed. The weirdest thing was that everyone brought in their statues and images of la Virgen to be blessed by the priest. I was unaware of this custom, or I would have brought my own! It was pretty impressive to see all the various images big and small crowding the altar. I didn’t quite understand all the mass; it appeared that the readings weren’t from the bible, but were historical readings of the story. I thought it was pretty cool.

After church we met up with Fer and Marta and family at our house (which is now sans boxes and bags! YAY!) to have a little birthday celebration – with a Tres Leches cake with strawberries (YUMMY!). They sang the Mañanitas song as well as happy birthday. We also had some habenero chips – I think I am developing a taste for hot chips now…..they made me want to barf about a month ago. Apparantly I’m becoming more Mexican!

No comments: