Tuesday, December 19, 2006

YAY

I officially made my decision on my new job - I will be a cement salesmen.....well, its called "Market Manager" so it sounds a little fancier, but its pretty much sales. There was a time in my life where I said "No way no how, never ever ever ever ever will I do sales" but, there is a time and a place for everything, and I think this is the right opportunity for me to do it. The territory is Southern Wisconson and Northern Illinois, so it should be pretty fun, even though I'll have to deal with all those Packer Fans.

This also means that Pat O'Brien will be the Engineer for my region, so we'll be working together, sort of. Not necessarily on a daily basis - but it will be pretty cool I think :o) We'll be sharing a home office, so I think we'll need to make some investments in some organization stuff since we're cramped for space there anyway.

This also brings up an interesting subject - if some of you may recal Pat O'Brien interviewed for a position a few months ago (September, I think?).....well, that is the same position I just accepted. Incedentally, its not the first time both of us have interviewed for the same position. Back in 2002 we both interviewed for the Tech Service Engineer position in Chicago (he was moving from Atlanta, and I from Denver). He won out that time, so I guess it was just my turn to win.

Not like its a contest.....although we both are pretty competitive people, when it comes to games and sports and such. But in this situation, its not like we're all cut throat trying to viciousy climb the corporate ladder, destroying anything/one in our path. Luckily, we don't have that type of outlook on work. We just want the best situation for both of us. We have spent a lot of time talking about the subject, and there isn't any anger or resentment...in fact, we're both looking forward to working together.

We make a very good team on so many levels, and I think its pretty incredible that we highly respect each other's position and knowledge. It comes in handy when we're stuck on presentations or letters - or when we just need to bitch........its comforting, in a way, I guess. Its kind of hard to explain. What I'm trying to say is that I think when a husband and wife do not respect each other's careers, or even just jobs, it can cause a lot of tension in a marriage.....like if one person thinks their job is somehow "more important" than the other person's......that goes for stay at home moms too - I think some husbands don't appreciate or respect all the work the moms do, and that leads to a lot of resentment down the road. I kind of got off on a tangent there.....but I'm happy and Pat's happy and we love and respect each other personally and professionally and that makes for one happy couple - and I think a very successful business relationship.

Heh - I guess I could have just said that a paragraph ago, eh?

The best part - we're going to have matching Jeep Grand Cherokee's! How adorable is that? I'll probably order a different color though, just so we don't get confused in the mornings and grab the wrong car :) That would be annoying!

No comments: