Friday, February 03, 2006

Time is flying by

It’s amazing how much faster time goes while you are occupied. This week has been good so far, because I have actually had lots to do besides fiddle with my iTunes library; which, by the way, can keep you occupied for HOURS! I can’t imagine that people who have 10,000 songs have time to do anything else but organize their music! Of course, most of them are probably slightly less obsessive compulsive about these types of things than I am. But I digress…..

Seriously, for the first time since I’ve moved here – I can’t believe it’s already Wednesday! Let alone February 1! That means I have been here for almost 3 months! Weird, isn’t it? Anyway, the faster time flies the better. That means that I am busier, which means (hopefully) that I’m making friends and learning new things. I’m a big fan of learning new things and having friends, so that means I will most likely be happy and not a cesspool of self pity.

What’s been keeping me occupied? I just got my mega tax worksheet thingy from PriceWaterhouseCoopers. It’s the biggest spreadsheet/file I’ve ever used. And not quite as user-friendly as TaxCut. There are about a billion things that I need to gather, so it will take me a while to drudge though that.

At work, I have started my “Programa de Inducción” (Induction Program) which is going to basically allow me to interview the top executives of the Technical Service division of the company, and get to know them and how their specific divisions operate a bit better. Good idea, except that my Spanish is still muy mal – and even though most of them speak some English, they were told to conduct these meeting/interviews in Spanish. SUCK! I had my first one Monday with the head of the CTC and it actually went OK. I did very well understanding, but at the end I felt like a tool because my responses were mostly “Si”, “No”, “yo entiendo”, and “Claro que si”. When it came to the end and he asked what I expected to get out of this experience, I didn’t have a lot to say (because I couldn’t!) and my brain hurt from concentrating so hard on what he had to say for 2 hours!

Today was the second at a plant in Mexico City. Good times! I love concrete plants! The guys who I interviewed were pretty cool, and it turns out one plays in a basketball league Sunday mornings close to our home, so I told him Keith would be there to help out :) He needs to get out more, anyway.

No comments: