Saturday, February 04, 2006

Volcanic and other Geological Activity

Yesterday, the volcano Popocatepetl (or, el Popo) awoke for a small spew. Just a little bit of smoke spewing but enough to make the news; as did "The Violence in Detroit". Some chick apparantly was shot and killed outside a club, which normally wouldn't make the news in Mexico City but apparantly thats what happens when the Super Bowl is in town.

Anyway, its very strange to think that there is an active volcano so close to me! Popo is about 30 miles south of Mexico City, and we're about 30 miles west of Mexico City. So if I know how to do geometry right (whats that pythagorean theorum thing again?) that means Popo is about 42.42 miles south east of Toluca. Much further away than the Nevado de Toluca, which is only about 15 mile south of here - but that volcano as been inactive for years.

Anywho, here's a pic:


Also, I had no idea that Mexico had like, 10 active volcanos. Here's a map of where they are - pretty much they run right along the San Andreas fault.


Speaking of the San Andreas fault (btw - the same fault that runs through Cali) apparantly there is an significant earthquake in Mexico City about every 4 - 6 months or so. By significant, I mean 4.0 to 6.0 on the richter scale. I'm not sure if we will feel them in Toluca, but man, I'm in Mexico City enough where I should probably brush up on my emeregency earthquake response. I wonder if sitting in front of my locker indian style with my arms crossed behind my neck head works for earthquakes.....

No comments: