Thursday, January 25, 2007

Lists

I've always been a list maker - it helps me not get freaked out. But sometimes I won't make them when I know the lists are too big, which kind of defeats the purpose of helping me tackle projects, doesn't it?

Anyway, I've got a few lists - some for home, some for work. At work, its a list of things that HAVE to get done before I leave, HAVE to get done AFTER I leave, and then the list of things that just won't get done ever, and no one will die because of it. I already have a nice steady list of appointments and training already set up for after I start my new position as well.

At home its mostly a list of things to do - things to purge - things to organize - things to bring with me in the car - things that need to go to the house by air shipment - things that need to get to the house sometime, and stuff that will go into storage. Its been a barrage of lists that somehow aren't managing to stress me out too much or drown me yet. I'm determined to make this a relatively stress-free move. Lets see if it really is mind over matter, because I don't think I've ever done a move where I wasn't freaking out at some point. So far, so good.

Lets see, the things I am focusing on right now for this weekend: Tonight I will have to finish purging all the things I need to get rid of. Hopefully as we speak Keith is disassembling the desk so we can send it off with the rest of the donated goods tomorrow morning when Salvation Army comes to pick it all up. I successfully compiled at least another truckful. So, that will be FIVE truckfulls (think an extra long bed pick up piled high above the cab) of stuff that I have given away - not to mention the countless numbers of trashbags of shredded and torn documents. I'm so glad I bought a shredder a few years ago. Totally a great investment and I don't have to worry about people stealing my social security number. After the STUFF is purged, I'll still have quite a bit of files to go through and sort out - but that will really be secondary. As Pat O'Brien keeps on reminding me - Papers don't take up all that much space......

Then, after that is all done, Friday and Saturday I will need to make sure to separate and clearly mark what is going where as far as Air shipment (basically clothes & printer), house shipment, storage shipment. I'm going to try to separate it by room - but we'll see how that all works out. Then Sunday night I'll have to pack - for a week or so. Actually two bags - one I can leave in the car, and another I can take with me into the hotels when we get to where we're going. I have to make sure everything we are taking in the car is necessary - and that it will all fit!

Saturday was supposed to be a rugby game, but its cancelled so they are just training instead. I'm not sure if I can make it to say goodbye to everyone - I have to work Saturday as well because of a HUGE meeting they are having here at the CTC. Hopefully we can at least drive down there and say hello for a bit. Sunday we're making time to spend some QT with our friends and surrogate family Fernando, Martha, Alejandro and little Fer. It will be hardest, for me, to say goodbye to them - they've been so good to us. We're going to go see La Basilica de Guadalupe, since it was the most important thing on my list to see while I was living here.

In the (not too distant) future:
The movers will be here Monday morning, so I have to also make sure I have the tablet of papers filled out and the appropriate copies of documentation ready so they have everything needed to get my goods across the border.

Monday I also have to take my car in for service to make sure its road worthy - also need to put on the new windshield wipers too.

I already transfered most of my money to my US account - but I think Tuesday I'll withdraw the rest and close my bank account. Tuesday night hopefully I can have dinner again with Veronica and her sister......OH Crap - I forgot I have to turn off our SKY sattelite - I need to call them FIRST thing tomorrow morning. Then Wednesday I'll turn in the keys to our renter and such. I have to not forget to ask about our security deposit. I would like that back in Cash.

Wow - it was exhausting just reading over it all! I hope you can excuse me for not keeping the blog updated for the next week - it will be a whirlwind. I will definitely post when we are safe and sound in the US of A though.......

No comments: