Friday, November 25, 2005

Caravan de Coca Cola

I finally decided to venture out a little bit – because as I said before if I stay in this apartment all weekend watching TV I’m going to go crazy. Both Keith and I have kind of been in this stage where we actually avoid talking to people. Its really hard not being able to communicate and to feel like an idiot, so its easier to not talk at all. Anyway, Friday night I forced Keith to go talk to the front desk (I can do that, because I’m the big sister) while I checked my email. I wanted to find out what was going on in the world of Toluca at night, that was relatively safe. We got some names of a couple bars and some pool halls and such. Although I didn’t feel much like going out at that point (it was 9:00PM) we both thought it might be a good idea to go scope out the places that we didn’t know.

So, we took a trip into downtown Toluca. About halfway to our destination we stumbled upont TONS (and I mean Thousands!!) of people sitting on the sides of the streets, apparently waiting for something. We drove a bit more, and when we couldn’t drive down the street that we wanted to bevause it was blocked with families and people selling chicaronnes, nachos, cotton candy and light up antlers, we decided finally to suck it up, find an illegal parking space and see what was up.

We got out, I purchased a cheesy Feliz Navidad light up reindeer/mickey mouse hand hat, and we waited. After asking some people, it turns out it was the Caravan. The Caravan of Coca-Cola. Of Course! Why didn’t I know that? What I wanted to know was WHAT THE HECK IS THE CARAVAN OF COCA-COLA??? Seeing as how I normally decorate the day after Thanksgiving, and everyone was wearing some type of Christmas gear, I figured that maybe this would be just what I needed to cheer myself up and get myself in the Christmas mood. And maybe I’d get a free coke out of it.

Well, there was no free coke, but there a was pretty big parade with impressive floats and big trucks all decked out in Coke gear (Tia Mo would have loved it!) all lit up, singing and dancing and all the world loves Coke. It was actually pretty fun! And, a local asked me a question J I couldn’t really anwer it, but it felt good to be approached. At the end of the evening, we found our way back home, and I for once actually felt like this was a good decision. That was exactly what I signed up for – experiencing something completely strange and new and exhilarating, something that was purely Mexico!

Now I feel ready to conquer a few small things. After I shower (we have hot water now, thank the sweet Lord) we’re going to head out to some dealerships and I’m going to try my hand at communicating in Spanish again. I’m going to be here for a while, I might as well start now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can just see you and Keith being to ridiculously silly right now...Bubba and I went to Harry Potter too - wasn't it great?!?!?!?
Why didn't you go and get smoked turkey legs? I am sure they have them where you are....Christmas will be so much better for you - dont forget to find a church to go to the Novena....Connie