Thursday, November 17, 2005

Viva México

13 Nov 05
We have officially and safely arrived in Mexico, albeit not without incident. There are many stories to tell about this one-day-but-felt-like-ten journey, so I will try to break it down as best I can.

The Day Before
Let me preface this section by stating that I have been in incredibly good spirits, especially after talking to my cousin Will and realizing (again) the amazing opportunity that lies ahead of me, instead of focusing on all the crappy bad stuff that I’m feeling.

So, the day before our departure, Saturday Nov 12, we had a family dinner at my Aunt Joni and Uncle Jerry’s house in Detroit. It ended up being a fantastic idea, and we even took cheesy family pictures with all of us matching. I was too busy visiting to be sad, and it wasn’t until the end that I even got a bit teary eyed. I was very proud!

The Morning Of
Mom, Dad, Keith, Kyle, Karli, Austin and Pat and I all stayed at the Airport Westin for the night seeing as how we had to get up at the ass crack of dawn. Keith and Kyle decided that it would be a good idea to go out in Royal Oak for one last hurrah. Yeah, good idea, until they woke me up at 3:30am asking for directions to the hotel and then again at 4:30am when they finally arrived. Did I mention that I had a 5:30am wake up call? And that I didn’t go to bed until 1:00AM because I was bawling in Pat O’Brien’s arms?

Anyway, everyone came to the terminal to make sure we got all the bags checked – and we ate a quick breakfast. I felt good because everything was checked and went well, and the only thing I had to worry about (which I mentioned to Pat O’Brien) was if the cats would fit under the seat. Wink Wink.

Then, it was time to say goodbye. I was doing great until I got to Karli, and she started crying, then mom started crying, then Keith, then me, then dad, and of course, Pat. It was kind of like the Stand By Me blueberry barf incident, minus the barfing. OK, so it’s really not anything like that. Anyway, of course, as I hugged and kissed Pat O’Brien and said goodbye I was a wreck; which is ironic because I’m going to see him again soon (He’s flying down to see us on December 1).

Cats Galore
So we get to the gate, and an airport chick said “Um, I really don’t think those are going to fit – there is only 9” of space”………and she was correct. So, she said I had to check them in cargo, of which I adamantly rejected. I ended up spending an extra $100 to buy different carriers which luckily American Airlines sold. Those of you who have met my furry feline companions know that Milo, our orange cat, isn’t of small girth. I really felt like I was shoving him into a teeny tiny Chinese food container. He did have enough room though, and I did get to take them on board. The best though, was yet to come.

Barf, Poop, Pee
Keeping with the theme of really bright ideas I decided to not sedate Milo even though I know he doesn’t travel well. Thalia is a dream. All she does is squeak and you can’t even really hear it over the engines. Milo – even though he doesn’t make much noise – tends to make up for it in other regards. So, after our first leg to Chicago, I peeked down to see how he was doing, and sure enough, my nose caught wind of an awful smell. I took him out to see how he was doing, and saw barf. Then a nice little dump pile of poop. Then all the other pee. Then, I saw my pathetic orange cat completely filthy in his own excrement because he has all of two inches to move around. Keith and I managed to get him out, Keith scored a bag and some paper towels, and I went to work to clean Milo and the cage as quickly as I could so we could make our connection. I also popped him a quick tranq.

Really it’s mostly my fault because I put the absorbent “Wee Wee Pads” on upside down. Yeah, really, it’s funny. You’d think the absorbent side would be the soft, cottony side, but apparently I thought putting the plastic side up would be a much much better idea. The mess would have been much easier to clean up if I would have thought about it for more than two seconds.

Immigration, agriculture, customs, my Spanish.
We made it through all of the above with little incident, thanks to my new found Spanish skills. I was very impressed with myself, as was Keith. It’s still pretty broken, but more than functional. And, I was able to complete each step without as much as a hiccup.

Rental car and driving in Mexico City
Until we get to the budget rent-a-car counter. With no one there. For hours. We finally managed to make it to the rental area and get a car, and follow our hosts to our hotel area. I could get into the depths of the frighteningness of driving in Mexico City, but I won’t just yet. Let’s just say, it was a tranquil Sunday afternoon, and I was still pretty white knuckled in a little ford focus.

Apartment, Telephones, Wal-Mart and internet withdrawal
Our apartment wasn’t ready, our phones don’t work, and we don’t have internet service in the apartment. Which meant I couldn’t skype my family and Pat to let them know we were OK. Which, you know, having a laptop it makes me soooooo frustrated to not have wireless or any kind of internet service!!! Anyway, I couldn’t call anyone to tell them we were alive until about 9PM today, central time. Before we got the calling card we managed to navigate in the dark to Wal Mart and find a McDonald’s for some dinner. It was quite an adventure.

But now, we’re settling in. I’ve had a good 30 minute fetal positioned cry on my new bed, the cats are done being pissed at me, and have joined me on the bed instead of under, and, I’m listening to some Jack Johnson. Rest assured in my heart - tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments: